How to Remove Labels in Google Maps (Updated 2021)

Google Maps uses labels to show points of interest such as restaurants, shopping centers, and parks. They also serve as informational hubs for hours, directions, and reviews. You can even create your own labels for work, home, or your favorite places.

Usually these labels are pretty helpful, but what if you want to view only the map without them? Luckily, it is possible to remove labels from Google Maps but you might have to use Google’s My Maps depending on what you’re looking for.

Update: Google Maps has moved where Layers used to be, and with this, have allowed you to remove labels in both Maps and Satellite view. Previously, you could only remove labels in Satellite view but could create something similar with Google My Maps. The article has been updated to reflect these changes.

How to Remove Labels in Google Maps

With the new Layers location update, Google Maps now allows you to remove labels in both map view and satellite view! Unfortunately though, it appears that this is only available on the Desktop version of Google Maps.

1. Open maps.google.com in any web browser.
  2. Hover your mouse over the Layers box in the lower left corner and then click More in the menu that appears.
    Google Maps More Option in Layers Menu
  3. Now in the expanded Layers menu, click / uncheck the Labels checkbox in the bottom right corner. Even though it appears greyed out, you should still be able to uncheck it and remove labels. If you’re having issues with it, try changing the Map type to Satellite first.
    Google Maps Labels Checkbox in Layers More Menu

Alternative Method: Hide Labels in Google Maps with Google My Maps

Google My Maps is a tool that Google provides to allow you to create your own custom maps using Google Maps. Conveniently, My Maps has some base layers without labels. Here’s how to create such a map:

Note: You’ll have to sign into your Google account to use My Maps, so make sure you’re already signed in or do so when prompted.

1. Open mymaps.google.com in your browser and click the Create a new map button at the upper left.
    Google My Maps Create a New Map Button
  2. At the bottom of the Untitled map box, click the arrow next to Base map and select Light Political, Mono City, or Simple Atlas.
    Google My Maps Base Map Options with Labels Removed

You can save your new map by clicking Untitled map and then the Save button.

You can even share, export, download, print, or embed this new map by clicking the 3 dots next to the map’s name and selecting the respective option.

Google My Maps Share Options

How to Delete Custom Labels in Google Maps

If you’re only here to find out how to remove custom labels that you’ve created – then don’t worry we’ve got you there too.

Desktop

1. Open maps.google.com in your browser and click the Menu icon (Google Maps Hamburger Icon) at the upper left.
  2. Click Your places near the bottom of the menu.
    Google Maps Your Places Option in Menu
  3. Under Labeled click the X next to the label you wish to delete. Check the Saved tab for other labels you might want to delete.
    Google Maps Remove Home Label

Mobile

1. Open the Google Maps app and tap the Saved button at the bottom.
    Google Maps Mobile App Saved Button
  2. Tap Labeled (or wherever you labels are saved) under Your lists.
  3. Tap the 3 dots next to the label you wish to remove and tap Remove (label name).
    Google Maps Mobile App Remove Label

31 thoughts on “How to Remove Labels in Google Maps (Updated 2021)”

1. Learning how to turn off labels is ZERO help, because it turns off ALL the labels. Turns off the stupid, obscurative restaurants, hotels, bars and stores, but also the STREET NAMES and HIGHWAY NUMBERS. Google, what is wrong with you people?

2. How about those crazy few that would like a satellite base map option sans scores of needless business pins when making maps (My Maps). This seems to me to be a more critical usage than being able to turn them off on standard view, yet this is where there is NOT that option. (Both should)

Frustrating as this should have been an easy catch. Do users expect more customizing options when they are just viewing or actively attempting to create a map? I’d say the latter should be the easy answer.

3. How do you turn off the the road and city labels in mymaps? There is option to edit layers that I add, but not to turn off the existing labels.

• Hi Lorraine,

You can’t remove labels in My Maps the same way you can (now) in Google Maps. You have to change the “Base Layer” to one of these: Light Political, Mono City, or Simple Atlas.

• I know you can’t do anything about this, but this is awful! I previously created a slide presentation using My Maps, Satellite View, no labels – and now when I go to create another, I can’t keep it in the same style. Come on, Google!

4. The greedy assholes at Google passive-aggressively cram their advertising down our throats by not letting us see our search results on the map if labels are turned off (which is needed to see what was searched for without being obscured by all the restaurants/etc Google is getting paid to show)!!!

5. The inclusion of business icons which are actually IMPOSSIBLE to remove means now I no longer use google mapping…I have wasted literally hours of my life trying to get around this stupid stupid idea. When you already have a slow broadband connection it is utterly pointless and intensely annoying,. Make it simple to remove the b**ody things. Please. !

• I find that the constant business ikons mean that I can’t read street names, which is the POINT of having a map. If it were possible to toggle the useless business ikons all over my map, I could find the businesses at all. As it is, I can’t see the streets for the shop advertisements.

6. In Google my Maps I can create a map with highlighted areas but there is no method to get rid of everything else i.e. restaurants, bars, hospitals. If I zoom in for a screen shot it all pops up and takes away from the area I want to highlight. Also, no method to put a name over the top of your highlighted area. All seems pretty archaic for a company who is a verb. You can do better Google.

7. How do we turn these labels off on the streetview? It’s absolutely horrendous how distracting they are from the full street scene.

• Hi,

Thanks for commenting! You’re absolutely right, Google updated Maps and moved where layers are located. I’ve updated the article to reflect these changes.

• This seems inaccurate still. I can’t find a way to turn off labels. Sadly, google seems to have removed the option to add custom labels too 🙁

• Hi Monika,

I just checked again and I am still able to turn off labels using the method in this article.

Are you using a PC or a mobile / tablet device?

• Changing the base map to Light Political or Mono City still removes labels. I wish there was a better solution but for now this is all we have.